FRB2018: Finding and understanding Fast Radio Bursts
Swinburne University of Technology, Melbourne, VIC, Australia
14-16 February 2018
The workshop will cover a broad range of FRB instrumentation and science, but with a particular focus on directions over the coming ~5 years, as the number of detected FRBs expands rapidly and their localisation becomes commonplace. The key themes of the workshop will be:
- Understanding FRB progenitors and their host environments. This requires:
- Real-time detection and localisation with interferometers. Can we achieve these goals more effectively via:
- Synergies between current facilities and/or identifying opportunities for existing facility upgrades?
- First Announcement: September 2017
- Second Announcement: October 2017
- Abstract Submission closes: 24 November 2017
- Registration Closes: 26 January 2017
Invited Speakers include:
- Sarah Burke-Spolar (WVU)
- Ryan Shannon (CSIRO)
- Manisha Caleb (Univ. Manchester)
- Vikram Ravi (Caltech)
- Shriharsh Tendulkar (McGill University)
- Laura Spitler (MPIfR)
- Jason Hessels (ASTRON, TBC)
Some very limited financial support may be available, with preference given to students. Please contact Sue Lester (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you would like to request financial assistance.
Travel and Accommodation
Participants will arrange their own travel and accommodation; however, we list here some relatively convenient options in the general vicinity of the workshop venue.
All travellers other than Australian and New Zealand citizens need a valid visa or authority to enter Australia (including electronic visas). Please contact the organisers if you need a letter of invitation for your visa application. For some nationalites, processing and issuance of visas can take several weeks/months, so apply well before your planned travel.
Childcare will be available for infants and children under 5. Please indicate in your registration if you require childcare or contact Sue Lester (email@example.com) if you have any questions.
If you have any access requirements in order to participate in this workshop please note them in your registration form or contact Sue Lester (firstname.lastname@example.org) directly with any questions.
Scientific Organising Committee
- Keith Bannister, CSIRO
- Adam Deller, SWIN (Chair)
- Jean-Pierre Macquart, Curtin/ICRAR
- Tara Murphy, USYD
- Emily Petroff, ASTRON
Local Orgaining Committee
- Adam Deller, SWIN
- Sue Lester, SWIN
- Stefan Oslowski, SWIN (Chair)
Image credit: Illustration of CSIRO’s Parkes radio telescope receiving the polarised signal from the new ‘fast radio burst’. Credit: Swinburne Astronomy Productions
Event Page Image credit: Star trail behind the Molonglo telescope. Credit: Fabian Jankowksi